Making a Chisel Knife

The first chisel knife I’ve ever seen was the one made by Morakniv and at first it seemed quite awkward, but after a while I began to realize the advantages such a blade will have in a workshop environment.So when I saw this old jointer blade in my local flea market I decided to make one for myself. But I did not want a bulky handle for it, so took inspiration from the Japanese kiridashi handles and made this one from some thin strips of mahogany I had in my scrap pile.

If you are interested in this style of knife but don’t feel like making one yourself then the original Mora is your best choice. You can get it at a great price from Amazon.

(This is an affiliate link. By purchasing this knife from Amazon you are also supporting this channel at no additional cost for you.)

chisel knife 2

6 thoughts on “Making a Chisel Knife

• July 27, 2017 at 7:36 pm

That is a beautiful piece! Ever think about selling a few? I’d be quite interested!

• July 28, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I’m not an experienced knife maker so I don’t know how a knife made by me would last under heavy use so I don’t usually sell them. However if you are interested in buying this knife, the actual knife made in the video, as a showpiece, risking that it won’t hold an edge well or that the epoxy might give and the handle scales split, or any other risks associated with poor work made by an inexperienced person then I could sell you this knife. Just make me an offer.

• July 29, 2017 at 10:45 pm

i want you ask about this knife.. will you sell it? so i want to know price

• July 30, 2017 at 12:31 am

I think I’ll put it on eBay since many people asked me to sell it. I’ll post a link here when I do.

• September 11, 2017 at 12:36 am

Hi! I love this design. I wonder if you might post the dimensions of the jointer blade you used (or just a picture of the stock with a ruler) so that we could look for something similar. I’d love to attempt to make one myself!

Thanks!

• September 13, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Lovely design job, Steve! When I first saw the Mora chisel knife, I was kind of, “what’s the point?” It was on sale quite cheap, so I bought one. After using a bit, it I now carry it all the time around the garden and old house. Great and useful. Yours, however, is too beautiful for the kind of rough treatment I give the Mora. I’ll be interested to see the price. Cheers, P.