Homemade Jeweler’s Saw

Old table saw blades are a great source of free steel of decent quality. I tend to want to use it in many projects, like knives and small tools, but more often than not I give up on it since I have no accessible way of cutting it in complex shapes. Most people use angle grinders when it comes to that, but because of the noise I can’t use that, since my shop is inside the house and I work mostly at night. A hacksaw and file is an option but it’s pretty labor intensive and limited in the shapes it can create.

Then I’ve seen a video of someone using a jeweler’s saw to cut a small steel rod. I knew people used this kind of saws to cut metal, but was always thinking that it was limited to thin brass or similar soft metals, never thought it can cut steel. It fact I was unsure this was possible until I finished it and gave it a try. And I couldn’t be more happy with the result:

cutting

For the frame I’ve used 1/4 inch steel rod. The saw is designed to work primarily with 5 inch blades so the dimensions are based on that.

steel

The bridge is a sandwich of aluminum, wood and steel, held together with epoxy and screws. It is around 3.5 inches long, giving a cut depth of a little under 3 inches.

bridge

The handle was turned on the lathe from an apple branch. It is 1 inch in diameter at the thickest part. The ferrule is aluminium to keep with the theme.

handle

The sketch I used to make it.

sketch

18 thoughts on “Homemade Jeweler’s Saw

• March 13, 2016 at 12:03 pm

really nice saw good work man…….. how much cost if i what to make more then one for sale
    Can you win money from such a project yes

thanks

• April 5, 2016 at 5:10 pm

This is a beautiful saw. What are the dimensions of the top to bottom and width at the top?

• May 3, 2016 at 4:28 am

Thank for sharing this project! I get inspired by people who make their own tools, especially when the craftsmanship is obviously so good.

• May 14, 2016 at 9:15 am

Is it a standard coping saw blade or a special metal cutting blade.

• May 17, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Metal cutting blade, they are found in some hardware stores or hobby stores. They are meant to be used mostly for jewelry making.

• September 6, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Homemade tooling has been around for many years and is there money in it ? It depends just what market you look for, jeweler’s saw can be purchased as low as $15.00. SELF made tools are for the satisfaction of the worker and owner to say I made it. AND that is not a bad thing. There is something about using a tool you made and the pride that go into your work.

Make one and see how long it takes to make them put a value to it and try to get that price is another thing.

• October 3, 2016 at 10:30 am

What’s money got to do with it?

• October 2, 2016 at 3:22 am

The whole point surely was that this modest saw it is claimed will cut steel circular saw blades which is a surprise.
    Yet you talk mostly about the saw frame which is very nicely made.
    But what blade is used to make such aggresive cuts in steel?
    I had always assumed some sort of carbide impregnated saw edge would be required.
    Please explain?

• October 3, 2016 at 10:28 am

It’s proxxon metal cutting blade. There are a variety of metal cutting jeweler’s saw blades on the market. I use proxxon cause they are decent quality and easily available where I live. As for the claimed part, what’s your point, that I made a fake circular saw blade to cut in the video?

• October 10, 2016 at 4:30 am

Steve,
    You’ve created a very nice saw here! Great choice of materials to use (especially the applewood handle!)

• October 10, 2016 at 8:29 am

Thank you!

• October 17, 2016 at 12:59 am

beautiful job. i dont have the talent or means to make my own so will have to buy one.
    i would appreciate you giving me a source on where i can purchase those saw blades.
    thank you.
    satch@cfu.net

• October 17, 2016 at 6:32 am

They are Proxxon metal cutting blades. I use the ones with finest teeth they have. You can find them online or at hobby stores, they are used by model makers. You can also try german or swiss made jeweler’s saw blades, but I don’t know which brands are good, since I never used them.

• February 26, 2017 at 11:18 am

Can this saw frame hold 8.0 very thin saw blades for real delicate fine cutting ??
    Please view my website to see my designs…

• May 27, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Nice saw you made, Steve.
    But two things.
    1. If you make something like that maybe it is better to use (in my eyes) proper materials. I know from the music-builders that they often use old fashion glu. That’s sometimes made from bones. In Holland we call it Beenderlijm. This is a very strong glue. And it is not toxic and you can unglue it by heating.
    2. If possible never use different kind of metals. Especially those that creates high voltage and start rusting by electrolysis. Thus instead of using aluminum iron is better. Maybe messing is also good, but not strong enough.
    I think that if you make you saw with the traditional materials its is more beautifully.

With kind regards, Raphaël.

• May 30, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Good work! Can I use a 1/4 inch aluminum rod? If not, why? Thank you.

• December 1, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Really loved the video. Is there any chance you could share a link where you can buy the blades? I can find Proxxon, but I’m not able to figure out which exact blades you’re using.

Thanks!